Meeting July agenda

OUGHTERSIDE AND ALLERBY PARISH COUNCIL

THE NEXT MEETING WILL BE HELD ON

TUESDAY 13th JULY 2021 AT 7.00 PM IN

PROSPECT VILLAGE HALL

Dear Parish Councillor,

You are summoned to attend the next meeting of Oughterside and Allerby Parish Council, as detailed above.

1.    Apologies

2.    Declaration of interest.

3.    To approve and accept the minutes of the last Oughterside & Allerby parish council meeting held on Tuesday 8th June 2021, as a true record.

4.    Public participation/open session, 15 minutes allowed including clerks update.

5.    Police Matters

6.    Matters concerning District and County Councillors.

7.    Applications for Development.

8.   Receive first quarter’s accounts 1st April to 30th June 2021

9.    Pond Green Play Area refurbishment update, Cllr R S

10. Wild flower project, verges and hay meadow area, Cllr J C

11. Summer edition INSIDE content update, Kieron Sutton/clerk

12. Highways new HIAMS facility, details circulated to councillors

13. Progress report, clerk

14. Oughterside councillors’ reports

15. Correspondence

16. Payments for approval

17. Date and time of the next meeting Tuesday 14th September 2021 7.00pm at Prospect Village Hall.

Signed

Mike Milner

Mike Milner, Clerk and RFO to Oughterside & Allerby Parish Council 8th July 2021

oughtersideparishclerk@gmail.com

The meeting will be held in Prospect village hall. Please also note START TIME is 7pm.

Documents

OUGHTERSIDE AND ALLERBY PARISH COUNCIL

The minutes of Oughterside and Allerby Parish Council Meeting

held in Prospect Village Hall on Tuesday 13th July 2021.

 

Meeting Opened: The chairman declared the meeting open at 7.00pm.

Present: Cllrs Mrs L Preston-Miller (chair), J Cowan, R Salmon.

Allerdale Borough and Cumbria County Councillors: Cllr A Markley (ABC)

Clerk: Mike Milner

Members of the public: 5

807.00 Apologises for absence: Mrs P Lukeman, A Morris, Mrs D Volkaerts. Resignation received from L Wisher.

808.00 Declaration of interests: None.

809.00 To read and approve the minutes of the last meeting held on Tuesday 8th June 2021.

809.01. Resolved to approve the minutes as a true and accurate record.

810.00 Public Participation Session. 15 minutes allowed.

810.01 clerk updated on 792.02 that BMX track had been repaired, plus 793.05 the large pot hole on Arkleby road has finally been repaired.

810.02 Representative of Prospect Village Hall present requested a donation towards the new curtain fire retardant material and associated hooks and fixings. Councillors approved a figure of £450 and as the figure was under £500 authorised the clerk to make the payment after the present meeting.

810.03 A further member of the public had been reading recent parish council minutes and requested that an area of the school play field could be part of the wild flower scheme and also two long stretches of the playing field opposite the school. In a letter from a member of the public the use of perhaps the far end of the Pond Green play area, if suitably cordoned off, could be part of the scheme. Clerk to investigate the costs etc with Tivoli the grounds maintenance contractor.

810.04 these options would be mentioned in the newsletter and also stress the fact that the playground scheme in the main playing field area and associated tree planting, had been award winning schemes and that fact might deter some of the vandalism that is currently being experienced in the area.

810.05 There followed a lengthy discussion about signage to promote the location of the defibrillator at Prospect Village Hall. Clerk pointed out that the parish council had been requested to provide signage advising there was a machine at Prospect village hall, which it had done at a cost of £168.00.

810.06 Clerk advised street furniture, signage, cannot be placed anywhere and had to follow specific specification criteria. Member of the public agreed to ask the Miners Arms if they would put a sign on their property.

Page 195 (1 of 5) chairman………………………………………………………………14th Sept’ 2021

 

811.00 Matters concerning District and County Councillors. 

811.01 Chair allowed agenda item 6 next and invited Cllr A M (ABC) to provide his report. He started with a lengthy County update most items did not refer directly to O&A but there had been a successful funding bid for the wild flower and trees in parishes across the county and having listened to the previous section about O&A’s plans he invited the clerk to submit a funding request to their county councillor, but copy him into the request and he would deal with it. Clerk to email by the week-end.

811.02 Cllr A M then updated on Allerdale matters and again most affected other areas not O&A directly. The only near topic of interest was the 2200 ton of stone being used to reinforce the sea defence in the Allonby area. Chair thanked Cllr A M for attendance and invited him to remain, but he left the meeting.

Chair resumed the meeting at agenda item 5

812.00 Police Matters.

812.01 clerk had circulated the police e-newsletter, no other report. Member of the public had reported theft of copper water storage tanks, but not a 100% positive police response, but they had offered a counselling option.

813.00 Applications for development. None

814.00 Receive first quarter’s accounts, 1st April to 30th June 2021.

814.01 prior to the meeting clerk had circulated, income ledger, purchase ledger plus the sundry ledger breakdown of expenses and finally the bank reconciliation which indicated that bank balance and ledgers were identical. Cllrs raised no issues with the accounts and they were accepted.

814.02 Cllr J C signed the bank statement to confirm figures did balance.

815.00 Pond Green Play Area refurbishment update, Cllr R S.

815.01 Cllr R S had met with the Pond Green play group who are raising funds to improve facilities. Cllr R S pointed out that over 3 years the group had raised approximately £3.5k. Therefore, it would take many years to raise the £70k required for a significant expansion of the playground, with existing equipment replaced by new items. The group had agreed that existing equipment would be retained and quotes sought for additional facilities, based on an agreed priority, which would be purchased when sufficient funds had been raised. Cllr RS had got 2 old quotes requoted and would be meeting a third play area representative on 26th July on site.’

816.00 Wild flower project, verges and hay meadow area, Cllr J C

816.01 Cllr J C said he was very heartened to hear earlier comments and enthusiasm about the project from members of the public and that funding was available. As a retired teacher he stated quite categorically that he would not approach the school head teacher at this time of the year, not an appropriate time to consider new projects, but he would do so at the start of the new term. He advised the meeting that he felt that the parish council should not be considering any work on local verges.

Page 196 (2 of 5) chairman………………………………………………………………14th Sept’ 2021

He based this on the fact that if you took time to look at the verges on the road by the River Ellen, they were actually rich in wild flowers and nature had done the job, no cost involved. Plenty of bees and butterflies.

816.02 he also pointed out that walkers would be aware of what is known locally as “3 corner field” owned by a local farmer which contained electricity pylons down at the end of Pit Lonning. There is an abundance of wild flowers in the verges approaching the field.

816.03 He did though consider that an area in the school playing field, plus a couple of long strips in the large playing field opposite the school would be possible excellent sites. He also reminded the council that next year was the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee year and that would be ideal for involving children in such a project including a tree project. He had heard the suggestion for the Pond Green far area, and although not suitable for a pond certainly a fenced off area for a marshy grassland and flower meadow.

816.04 For Allerby he remarked that he had seen at Dalston some slightly raised beds with nothing but bee friendly flowering plants and it was sponsored by a seed supplier. It was pointed out that the Grow West Community Charity Garden centre was in Allerby and they would surely be delighted to become involved in a high-profile local community event.

816.05 clerk to investigate costs of the wild flower maintenance in the large Oughterside playing field and also at the far end of the Pond Green.

817.00 Summer edition INSIDE current update, Kieron Sutton/clerk

817.01 K S had been listening to the meeting content, he would investigate local knowledge on the Oughterside play area and play ground, but he advised the council he certainly now had sufficient material for a full 4-page A4 newsletter. Date for submission to the clerk 20th July. Cllr R S said he could distribute most of the newsletters in Prospect, but Cllr D V had her own area to do and Cllr L P-M confirmed she would do Allerby, West Moor End and Blue Dial.

818.00 Highways new HIAMS facility.

818.01 prior to the meeting the clerk had circulated the details of the new Highways reporting online facility, HIMAS. Clerk had used it across other parishes, the new system was developed by Highways themselves, not a bought in software package as before. Clerk confirmed its ease of use, but did add the rider that at the end of the day it is the team who do the work and respond to the reports that would be the proof of an improvement. If any councillors used the system the clerk asked that as soon as they received the confirmation job number councillors please forward a copy to him, to enable clerk to see what was being reported.

818.00 Progress reports, clerk

818.01 Clerk confirmed he had still not actioned the drainage issues, he was like Cllr J C concerned about the current rise in Covid and even double jabbed he did not want to be having too self-isolate.

818.02 Clerk was still looking into the boundary issues, but needed to have access to Cumbria records office, but again he was awaiting free access to the Carlisle facility.

818.03 Clerk has had confirmation from ROSPA that they will carry out the three playground inspections in August/September.

818.04 minute 802.09 refers and clerk had bought and fitted the new padlocks for 2 of the noticeboards. He reported that the one by the school had been vandalised, clerk had straightened the clasp, but more wanton vandalism.

Page 197 (3 of 5) chairman………………………………………………………………14th Sept’ 2021

818.05 further to minute 803.03 clerk had photographed the narrow road as it approached the Ellen Hall bridge. He had reported the issue and request for a road narrows sign, highways reference W2181048078.

818.06 Clerk had reported all overgrown paths W2181048880 and they had now all been cut.

818.07 Clerk had also taken up the issue of the broken kerb at the lay-by by the school and the area between the pavement and the fence, W2181048877. The issue had been reported by the school but no action.

818.08 Clerk had obtained clarification from Land Registry that Pond Green play area was owned by Oughterside and Allerby Parish Council. A member of the public challenged the ownership detail, but Cllr R S who had the details circulated by the clerk, confirmed it belonged to O&A parish council.

818.09 Cllr J C had circulated pictures of over grown trees at Pond Green, the clerk to get a quote from Tivoli to suitably pollard those close to the play area. The new fence installed by adjoining field’s owner placed the trees in the parish ownership section.

819.00 Councillors Reports.

819.01 Cllr J C reported the Salterwath beck concrete rubble and overhanging trees, providing photographs. Clerk confirmed he had contacted Highways to remove the rubble, remove the timber pegs and shuttering, plus when there, could they trim back the PROW growth. Clerk confirmed that trees on the opposite side of the beck were not parish trees and the Sycamore trees are subject to a TPO, any issues were for the property owners whose boundary bordered the beck under Riparian rights and duties.

819.02 Cllr R S asked if clerk had obtained the safety squares for installation under Pond Green swings, clerk had not as he was awaiting ROSPA safety inspection report to see what they said about all the matting and equipment.

819.03 The issue had been raised about the volunteer having resigned from the bus shelter cleaning exercise due to the continued use as a public convenience. Clerk to find a third-party company who could clean the bus shelter, a request for a volunteer to clean a bus shelter used as a convenience was not likely to attract any volunteers. Not going to consider a “lengthsman” for that task, just too much red tape involving zero hours contract.

819.04 Cllr L P-M was concerned about the state of a finger post in Allerby and the play area fencing and the red phone box on the green in Allerby.

820.00 Correspondence.

820.01 Clerk had received 2 invoices from Tivoli, one for the usual monthly maintenance £450.40 and the other for the repair to the vandalised BMX grass bank for £60.00.

820.02 Clerk had circulated an email and information “Keeping Allerdale Clean” which advised who in Allerdale was responsible for what areas of the borough.

820.03 Clerk had circulated the new HIAMS Highways details.

820.04 Clerk had circulated information on the newly discovered Pond Green “Children’s Play Area” signage.

820.05 Clerk had received an invoice from J B Newell for the refurbishment to the bus shelter by the Miners Arms, £470.00.

820.06 Invoices received from Calc for training courses.

Page 198 ( 4 of 5) chairman………………………………………………………………14th Sept’ 2021

 

821.00 Payments for approval.

IntPay 155 M Milner, Total £336.93, Salary£255.84. Exp £81.09.

IntPay 156 HMRC PAYE, £63.80

IntPay 157 Tivoli, £450.40, July ground maintenance invoice

IntPay 158 Tivoli, £60.00 BMX Track repair

IntPay 159 J B Newell painting contractor, £470.00 bus shelter refurbishment

IntPay 160 Calc, Village Green Course for Cllr J C

IntPay 161 Calc, Climate Change course for Cllr J C

IntPay 162 Prospect Village Hall Committee £450 donation to curtain material and fixings

All Payments approved

Meeting closed 8.44 pm.

822.00 Date and time of next meeting Tuesday 14th September 2021 at 7.00pm at Prospect village hall.

Page 199 ( 5 of 5) chairman………………………………………………………………14th Sept’ 2021